Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Bringing Balance to My Force(s)



I have recently completed a purge of sorts, brought on by a growing collection of what I consider to be poor examples of Star Wars fare.

It all started with The Last Jedi. I can't shake the feeling that this was a terrible movie, right down to its rotten core. I have already ripped on it elsewhere, so I will refrain from revisiting those grievances. The point is, I realized that I had collected a large-ish amount of recent Star Wars material for which I did not really care. Dove-tailing with this feeling was a similar vibe about all things Star Wars Rebels. I watched the first few seasons of Rebels. It was OK, most of the time, but never great. And never quite Star Wars.

So I sold it.

A bunch of it. Books like The Last Jedi Visual Guide, Cobalt Squadron, Canto Bight, and Battlefront II: Inferno Squad. Star Wars Armada ships like the too-big QuasarFire-class and also too-big Interdictor-class ships. Both of them weirdly and unnecessarily redesigned previous items. Like the Thrawn re-invention, etc. Unforced errors on the Legends continuity constantly perpetrated by the Rebels show. Also in Armada, I had to get the Thrawn upgrade card, only found in the new Chimaera expansion. But...Rebels strikes again! This time with a graffiti'd version of an Imperial Star Destroyer they claim Thrawn would like and some dumb Mandalorian fighters.


So I purchased the Chimaera expansion and another, regular Imperial Star Destroyer (sans graffiti). I kept the pieces I wanted and sold the rest on eBay.

I also took the opportunity to sell any and all upgrade cards from Rebels. They ruin the Star Wars feel for me.

Also sent away in the Great Clean-out of 2018: my large collection of recent SW comics. All 51 issues of the Star Wars title (Marvel, Jan 2015 - Jan 2018; 41 regular issues, 3 annuals, multiple cross-overs). Twenty one issues (plus one annual) of the Poe Dameron title as well (Marvel, Apr 2016 - Dec 2017).

No comments:

Post a Comment