Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Bringing Balance to the Forces...Again


As you may know, a Second Edition of the X-Wing Miniatures Game is on the way (due in stores on September 13). Alongside re-designed, streamlined rules there are new model sculpts and a nice idea for veteran collectors, like me: conversion kits.

Each conversion kit is capable of bringing a set number of ships from a given faction up to Second Edition standards; with pilot cards and cardboard base tokens, etc. A nice gesture, when FFG might have not cared too much about the existing player base. All those First Edition plastic ships can be theoretically used in the new game, as long as you have the conversion pieces.

Of course, FFG will try hard to make you re-buy things you already own, like any good miniature game upon entering a new edition. In this case, they are doing it right: by making the new models flat out better. In the case of the X-wing, the S-foils actually open and close. That's OK with me, but not enough to make me want to part with all eight of my existing T-65s.


The new Y-wing sculpt, however, did make me recently clear the decks, selling my 4 Rebel Y-wings and 1 Scum Y-wing to make room for the new guy in town. First, the old (or current) Y-wing.


Then the Second Edition re-sculpt:


Oooh, la la! A longer, skinnier neck. More pronounced laser cannons on the front, and a much larger, more visible turret! I liked it so much that I sold all of my existing models to make room for these babies.

Another item on my mind has been my dis-satisfaction with the sequel trilogy; and when this craft flew onto my radar screens, I pulled the trigger on another sale:


That's right, Lando's Falcon from the Solo movie! Even I have my limits, so the prospect of owning three Falcons was a bit over the top...and I sold all things Sequel Trilogy: the Force Awakens Falcon, my five T-70 X-wings (including Poe's Black One), all four TIE/fo and both TIE/sf ships. I am no longer a Resistance or First Order player.

Note that Lando's Falcon is a Scum & Villainy ship. Intriguing... I also hear that the escape pod can detach from the front and fly as a separate ship. Cool.

Along the way, I had to trim down my number of standard TIE fighters as well. With a new Core set I will be getting two more...to go with the 16 I had. So I sold the four alternate paint job gray ones that I had collected (two of which came in the Gozanti-class cruiser epic expansion).

My X-wing collection is now at 82 ships, down from just over 100 not too long ago. I have only Original Trilogy stuff, and avoid both the Sequel Trilogy and Star Wars: Rebels cartoon.

When Second Edition hits, I will get one base set, Lando's Falcon, four Y-wings, and one X-wing in addition to one of each conversion pack. Depending on how they look, I may sell the TIEs that come with the base game, if they don't fit well with my existing full TIE squadron. Yes, that's too much.

Before that (tomorrow, in fact) I plan to pick up the TIE Reaper expansion (to go with my two TIE Strikers). This is an interesting one as it includes material for both First and Second edition of the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment