Friday, December 15, 2017

The Last Jedi review (no spoilers)


I saw Episode VIII last night, and I can now answer this burning question: can you make a worse Star Wars movie than The Force Awakens? Rian Johnson et al deliver a resounding: YES!

I won't go into specific spoilers in this first Episode VIII post, but suffice it to say that I thought this movie was a disjointed mess of underwhelming miniature crises, unwarranted side treks, and unbelievably poor tactical and strategic planning. Many Bothans died needlessly in an endless parade of stupidity. The First Order deserves to win, but nobody cares if the Resistance fails.

One item I will dig into a bit more, later, is the numerous times the writers, via direct dialog, are having a conversation with us, the fans. It's like Johnson and Disney closely read the reviews of TFA, particularly those related to plot holes or outstanding questions, and wanted to include a line about each, usually spoken directly into the camera. It's low-brow, to my mind. Like an author replying to specific Amazon.com reviews of their book in the text of the sequel.

Luke: No, Gary from Portland, we did not forget how the Force works. And yes, Sheila from Maine, my cloak does look wrinkled. I live on a deserted island, for cripes sake.

Rey: Who are you talking to, Master Skywalker?

Luke: Nevermind...


***

My preferred order for the movies:

IV A New Hope
V The Empire Strikes Back
VI Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
III Revenge of the Sith
II Attack of the Clones
I The Phantom Menace
...
VII The Force Awakens
VIII The Last Jedi

No comments:

Post a Comment