Monday, March 12, 2018

SWAJ 11


Hit a snag in my readership of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, in that Vol.1, No. 11 cannot be found on the second-hand market. I have searched high and low and this is the only issue where I have run into a brick wall, so to speak. I finally relented and read the issue in PDF form.  It is strange this one is so seemingly rare; I have the other 14; most were trivial to collect. The only other somewhat hard to get issue is the last one, No. 15. I will keep searching for the last piece of my SWAJ collection, however.

After all that horsing around, the issue is not the greatest. Love the cover picture. This issue is from November, 1996. To set the scene, The New Rebellion novel has just come out, along with Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tyrant's Test (book 3 of the Black Fleet Crisis). Look for them now, at a B. Dalton's near you! The Tales of the Jedi sourcebook is also new from WEG in this issue. I don't know that story line, but I might wish to pick this book up sometime as it purports to be a complete collection of the Force powers for D6 Star Wars RPG. Check the Yellow Pages for the Waldenbooks nearest you!

A new Zahn story entitled Command Decision starts us out. This is the sort of Thrawn story in which Thrawn confuses his underlings, even to the point of near mutiny, only to have them come to realize that he knows what he is doing and they do not. Nice read. The rest is a bit blah, in my opinion, including a long, poorly written piece by my new frenemy, Pablo Hidalgo.

I liked the Platt's Smuggler's Log feature. A long piece by Bill Smith thoroughly discusses the Star Wars Rules Upgrade. This covers the changes to the RPG as they moved to the Second Edition, Revised and Expanded.



This was not my favorite edition, as the book had very strange art direction. Filled with screen shots from the movies juxtaposed beside bad drawings, it did not work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment