Monday, August 26, 2019

Thrawn Treason


Just finished this book, Thrawn Treason (Timothy Zahn, 2019). I originally thought it was part of a new trilogy, but I am now unsure. It is, indeed, a follow up to last year's Thrawn Alliances, the buddy story featuring Thrawn and Vader, but I don't see anything coming along as a third book.

This tale has extensive tie-ins to the Star Wars: Rebels Thrawn material that I have not yet watched. I suppose I will look into that next.

As a novel, I liked this one more than Alliances, and probably more than 2017's Thrawn. I certainly don't like them as replacements for the original Thrawn Trilogy...perhaps they still work as seamlessly integrated precursors, I suppose. 

Following along as Thrawn's ingenious plans unfold is usually fun, and this is no different. Sometimes one rolls one's eyes at the depth of knowledge these plans assume Thrawn is capable of achieving, but this is Star Wars, and Timothy Zahn, and Thrawn is cool, so it's fine.

I'll place this one is the near miss category, in terms of favored canon, simply because that's where Alliances landed. By itself, I'd consider it preferred canon, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment