Friday, September 6, 2019

Armada Fleet Battle, part 1

Welcome to the first of a series of posts detailing my recent Star Wars Armada fleet battle.

***

The Game
My entire collection, facing off in one epic battle! Over my time collecting Armada fleets, I have tried to keep things even, just for such an auspicious occasion. A fleet battle. 2000 points per side. A total of 28 ships (six of them star destroyers) and 75 squadrons would be battling for space supremacy. As this battle would take many more hours than normal, I decided to fight myself! Me versus me. At least I know who’ll win.

The Emperor has made a critical mistake. He has arrived at a secret Imperial facility to watch a demonstration of the newly created TIE Phantom. The research labs are housed in a pair of space stations in an asteroid field orbiting a non-descript star. Rebel Alliance Intelligence got word of the clandestine affair, and a strike fleet under the command of Admiral Ackbar was dispatched. An opportunity to destroy Palpatine, Lord Vader, a Super-class star destroyer, and a secret weapons program was deemed too good to pass up.

All combatants, pre-setup

House Rules
I used two Commander upgrade cards per side in this epic throw-down. I will probably limit myself to one in the future. I have named the ships in this engagement, but I do not actually use the Title type upgrade cards from the Armada game. I also do not like the Fleet Command upgrade type.

The Imperial Fleet, pre-setup (11 ships, 43 squadrons)
The Rebel fleet, pre-setup (17 ships, 32 squadrons)

Setup
The objective for this game was randomly determined: Station Assault. The Rebels would get bonus fleet points for destroying each of two stations. The Imperials would score if the stations remained safe.

With fewer fleet points used (1993 vs 1995), the Rebel Alliance opted for the First Player designation.

The debris fields, asteroids, and stations were placed. Station 1 was on the Imperial left; Station 2 on the Imperial right. Then came the deployment. One ship at a time. Me, trying to outguess myself, and place the best ship in the best position each time. Waiting it out with the big boys, until the lay of the land became clear. I did all the ships first, and did not use squadron placement as a filler for each setup turn. That would have been even more interesting, perhaps.

Between ships and squadrons, the Imperials have 33 drops. The Rebels have 33 as well.

View from the Imperial left flank

View from the Imperial right flank

Long view down the table

Two massive fleets, poised for battle. The Executor and Stronghold held some starfighters in reserve, planning to use Rapid Launch Bays later in the contest.



In the next post: the plans of each combatant!

No comments:

Post a Comment