Monday, October 16, 2023

Chapter 1: The Mandalorian (The Mandalorian, S1, E1)

 

Just re-watched the episode that started Disney+, "The Mandalorian" Chapter 1: The Mandalorian (directed by Dave Filoni, written by Jon Favreau and George Lucas, original air date Nov 12, 2019).

Mandalorian: I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold.

Such a great start to the series! I have two minor quibbles; the first is how Mando attacks the Quarren (called "Quarren Trawler" in the IMDb entry) who appears to be running away and causes an industrial accident with the very doorway pictured above. Seems a bit gratuitous, especially for a target that appears to be leaving the fight. The second is the loss of random landspeeder driver who tells Mando to 'stay off the ice'. He seems to have known how dangerous the area was...but had to die for some reason to drive that point home? Unnecessarily to my mind. Those two minor points are all I had for criticism. They certainly do set a tone for how cheap life is in this neck of the galaxy.

I am thrilled with how fast we get to the good stuff. Meeting Greef Carga and the Armorer as well as fan favorites Kulil and IG-11. Meeting "the Client" and Dr. Pershing and their inexplicably dirty stormtroopers. This portion of the Imperial Remnant has some 'splaining to do. Some great lines like "I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold" and "Bounty hunting is a complicated profession". And, of course, meeting your friend and mine, the star of this or any other show from 2019: Baby Yoda!

I like the deadpan humor of IG-11 repeatedly attempting to initiate his self-destruct sequence. I love the Razor Crest as a Star Wars vessel, Mando's extensive collection of weapons, and his (apparent) frequent use of carbonite freezing. Pretty cool (carbonite pun intended).

No comments:

Post a Comment