Thursday, November 23, 2023

Chapter 8: Redemption (The Mandalorian, S1, E8)

 


The Mandalorian Chapter 8: Redemption (directed by Taika Waititi (the voice of IG-11), written by Jon Favreau, original air date December 27, 2019) sees our cornered heroes break out of their frying pan (in the form of a razed bar/diner, formerly used by the Client) and into a fire (in the form of an underground lava river). Lots to stormtroopers, including the first new one from The Mandalorian, the Incinerator Stormtrooper.



There is some emotional movement on the Mando hates droids front, too.

IG-11: I need to remove your helmet if I am to save you.

The Mandalorian: Try it and I'll kill you. It is forbidden. No living thing has seen me without my helmet since I swore the Creed.

IG-11: I am not a living thing.

This was a great capstone episode, bringing together frenemies and allies alike. Carasynthia Dune, Greef Karga, IG-11, and the Armorer. All good. Moff Gideon is a good character, too. Not the best Star Wars villain ever, but a good fit villain for this level of show.

 The Mandalorian: We need you.

IG-11: There is nothing to be sad about. I have never been alive.

The Mandalorian: I'm not... sad.

IG-11: Yes, you are. I'm a nurse droid. I've analyzed your voice.

And that's the end of The Mandalorian, season 1. A great way to launch Disney+ and revive the Star Wars franchise. Well done, Jon Favreau et al! 

To wrap up this post, I'd better include a great Greef Karga quote:

Cara Dune: [Moff Gideon comes at them in a TIE fighter] Our blasters are useless against him.

Greef Karga: Hey, let's make the baby do the magic hand thing. Come on, baby! Do the magic hand thing.

[Karga waves his hand to try to get the Child to use the Force, instead the baby waves back]

Greef Karga: I'm out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment